Showoff

My husband has always been a man of action and few words when it comes to our marriage. His idea of showing me how much he loves me is mowing the lawn and cleaning our garage. You can see where the whole men are from mars thing applies here(Flowers? For what?). I left him with two sick kids today while I headed off for a girls day. In total, it added up to nearly 7 hours, including travel time, on a rainy day at home, alone with two sick kids. This combination was a sure bet for disaster, anybody would be nervous. When I jumped in the car to head back home today, I nervously dialed the house number as I noticed I'd missed two calls from him earlier in my kid-free day. Oh crap, what happened at 12:08 pm that he needed me? He answered in a hushed voice and informed me that they were down for a nap. BOTH KIDS? No F&#?!ING WAY! That only happens to the seasoned, blessed and ordained, card carrying lucky parent. Then he listed off his accomplishments with the bravado of a pro: swept the floors in the whole house, done three loads of laundry, the dishes, AND cleaned the garage so I could pull my car in during these rains. He added that he took the girls for a walk, played with Shelby and her sidewalk chalk, and painted their toenails (himself included). I swallowed all this information with gratitude and a healthy dose of disbelief. Hanging up, I spent the rest of my drive preparing myself for the certain tornado of a household upon my arrival. Surely he couldn't have found time to tidy the house, too! Well, I wouldn't call it it spotless, but the living room was a far cry from the pig sty I left this morning. I picked up Ana and instinctively checked her diaper. Surely he would have forgotten to change her diaper in all his haste to entertain kids and do house work... nope, a nearly dry diaper, too?! I swallowed my pride, expressed my sincere gratitude and secretly resolved to be a more efficient house wife and better mommy tomorrow. He has inspired me and showed me up simultaneously. At least he didn't say "It was so easy!". Clark Kent called, honey, he wants his tights back.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, I hate that!! The upside is that you should now go shopping more often since you know everything will be fine while you are gone!