Come On Get Social Now

I've recently embraced a little part in my day called "Me Time". It has taken me some very, very low moments in my summer to recognize and uphold the importance of Me Time for the sake of my sanity. "Me Time" has forced me to be social... AND active-two things with which I often find myself battling against.
In a past life, I fondly refer to as B.C. (Before Children), I had a lot of Me Time and I coveted it. In fact, I horded it. In B.C. I used to be an avid runner. An avid lone runner who enjoyed long hours and many miles alone, pounding out my run, alone. Upon meeting fellow runners at dinner parties or in my neighborhood, I would happily chat up our mutual love for running, but nothing more. Like the giant elephant in sweatpants jogging in place on the coffee table, I would avoid the inevitable proposal of, "we should go for a run together some time!" I cringed at the thought of it...someone chit chatting their way through MY RUN, changing my tempo, setting my pace, distracting me from Me Time! Uugghhh.
I soon graduated to Motherhood and Me Time was harder to uphold, and lone running was not alone anymore and involved a cumbersome stroller and more often than not, a wailing infant. Suddenly, Me Time wasn't what it used to be. I stopped looking forward to Me Time and sought it other ways to maintain myself: Mommy & Me playdates full of laughter and breast feeding, coffee and social, and lots of kiddie chaos. And yes, running with other moms whose baby stroller happily distracted my baby stroller while we chit chatted along, changing our pace, and distracting each other from the drag of what used to be Me Time.
When my second child arrived, Me Time just disappeared. Along with sleep and sanity. So did social. I couldn't find two seconds for coffee with both kids in tow. Forget running-not with a double stroller and this mooshy body! Me Time desperately needed some attention-almost as much as my saggy ass. So I got a gym membership at my sister's gym in hopes she, who is blissfully enjoying her B.C. Years, would help to encourage me to recall Me Time.
Shortly after setting a routine gym schedule, I found a new friend in my estranged beach town life who is a master at Me Time. In fact, I'm pretty sure she not only invented it but is the President, Chair and CEO of Me Time, Inc. Suddenly, Me Time is taking over my life 4 mornings a week! Two with sis, two with El Presidente Yo!
Me Time is reshaping my butt cheeks and raising my heart rate to new levels. I am on an Endorphin Auto Pilot soaring high in the skies of Me Time World and I hope that neither me or my butt cheeks ever come down because we are both a little less shaky this way.

Comments