4/1/09

Growing A Butterfly, Just Add Water!

Did you know that you can order LIVE caterpillar larvae online? WHO DOES THAT?
I do. It began with a birthday present for a family friend's daughter. World Alive makes several science minded kits in bright colored boxes that make great gifts for kids. The one we purchased is called "Fascinations Butterfly Kit with a Super-View Habitat Included".
When Shelby got her hands on the gift to be given, she couldn't stop talking about "Growing A Butterfly"! Upon further inspection, I realized I misunderstood the product. I wrongly assumed that the caterpillars were freeze dried inside the box, waiting for their new owner to "Just Add Water" and grow some butterflies!
Okay, maybe I'm not THAT dumb...but I didn't think this gift through until I had gotten it home. And with further inspection, discovered the 4 Easy Steps on the package, where #1 Easy Step is ordering your caterpillar eggs online. Now, THAT would be a job....
World Alive Carterpillar Manager, Job Description: hunting cabbage fields and apple orchards in search of innocent newborn caterpillars to abduct (aka professional kidnapper).
Back to my point. If you are a crazy mom looking for some scientific entertainment, like I am, here is the site where you can order some painted lady butterflies in their larvae state. www.carolina.com/world-alive Based on my research, DO NOT order the white cabbage caterpillars (they are considered a pest). Stick to the painted ladies. And if you're in the market for a preserved organism, be sure to check out their advertisement for "The Best Preserved Cats-There's No Substitute". Hilarious. Oh yeah, this "Experiment" is reasonably priced-less than $10 for five painted ladies...cheaper than Vegas.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You can use this custom search engine to search the top 20 free sites that offer free stuff or coupons.
couponSite

JO said...

We are so very excited for the butterflies to arrive! Thanks so much.