The Actual Speech

Hi, for those of you I have not met, my name is _____ and I am the bride's sister. First off, I need to warn you, I've never given a speech before, ever.
-This is when I broke down in tears, I know, already, so I felt like I needed to warn the crowd that this speech could be a long one if I had to keep stopping to collect myself-
OK, I'd like tot hank you all, on behalf of Chels and Jared, for begin here today, for traveling, for driving, for flying here, for karaokeing here
-that was the rehearsal night-
there's been a lot of effort from many parties to make this special day happen, and Chelsea and Jared have certainly done so much work-so thank you!
I'll get straight to the point: 'C' is not only my sister, but my best friend. And for anyone who wasn't already aware, she has countless qualities I've grown to love and appreciate, and that Jared now has the pleasure of growing to love more and more every day. I'd like to share a little " 'C' Poem" I wrote about all those qualities with you:
Loyal and loving, sweet and kindhearted, 'C' knows the tiniest detail and hosts the loudest laugh, she is a tornado with a smile, soft and serious, the queen of the banana bread bake-off, she loves her shoes almost as much as she loves her cars, she is pink toenails and soccer cleats, she is the green eyed girlie, she is honest and stubborn, perpetually late, she is wild and reserved, a true "diamond- in the rough", silly and stunning, she is a sister, an aunt, a daughter,a friend, and now, today, a wife.
-more crying and gathering my composure-
-Then I told the story of first meeting her man way back when ad how their lives intertwined-
It's easy to see why 'C' loves him so much, I mean, there are plenty of things to love about him; the handsome smile, the sense of humor, goodwill, honesty, he's so photogenic-they're both so friggin photogenic. I have so much respect for 'J', for all of his accomplishments, for putting himself through college and graduating from San Diego State alongside 'C', for his friendship, for his margaritas, for educating us all on the meaning of the word, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and most importantly, the thing I love most about 'J' is, his endless love for my sister.
-This is when my sis, the bride stood up to give me a hug as I was collecting myself, once again, and I had to stop her and say, "I'm not done yet"-
So, finally, a word about marriage from this 8 year veteran: No matter what happens through the course of your day, and trust me, a LOT can happen, it's so important that you never go to bed angry. Always kiss each other goodnight, it's as simple as that.
-And then she stood up again and I had to laugh and tell her, "I'm not done yet, I told you it would take me awhile"-
I'm honored to welcome Jared into our family and so proud to make this toast to the beautiful bride and groom:
"To the best of friends and lovers, a long and happy life with each other!"
Cheers!

Comments