Lifestyles of the Indebted & Fabulous

In light of my recent discovery- a newly admired fashion sense- I thought it only fair to impart some of this valuable knowledge on you, dear reader.
After the birth of my first child, I reevaluated my colorful collection of post-college hoodies, comfy "finals study sweats" in an assortment of plaids, and all other male-inspired articles of clothing designed to hide every curve and swerve on my feminine body. I resolved to discard every hooded sweatshirt, sweatpant that failed to hug my curvy backside, all things plaid, and even tossed every marathon T-shirt I'd acquired during my long stint as a running road warrior. Then I began visiting a formally trained hair dresser. After that, I increased the ante by vowing to wear mascara and earrings every day. No matter how shabby you may feel, a little accessorizing never hurt anyone.
As for my daily hygiene, which was null up to this point, I have also made significant improvements. I don't know if my mother-in-law was hinting at something, or merely sharing her expensive facial habits, but every year since I turned 30, she has given me some form of anti-wrinkle, eye lift, make you look younger than you really are cream and gift certificates for facials. Yeah, okay, I finally got the message. Through her gifting, I found DeVita, who sell an all natural (don't quote me) ADH citric acid wrinkle erase miracle potion. I've used the sample size with incredible success this past year (that's how long a tiny bit will last). Want to erase your eye wrinkles overnight? Call DeVita, it's for real! (This endorsement paid for by the makers of DeVita)
More daily hygiene includes a formidable amount of exfoliating. Like sand paper for the skin! I prefer the Aveeda Daily Face Scrubs, which I can get at the local Rite Aide for about $10. I've also used Target's Black Head Remover, which is really just a more abrasive daily exfoliant. Scrubbing the bejeesus out of my face almost every day has made my skin look and feel brighter, less dry, and allows it to actually absorb the (now) expensive face cream I apply after the fact. I love Elizabth Arden's Visibly Different Face Cream, which you can now get at Costco, $30 for TWO!!
Between an exfoliation treatment and the face cream slathering, I also like a spritz of toner (I LOVE Caudelie's Elixir which smells lovely, but since I ran out, now use DeVita's Rose Toner, which serves the same purpose).
One added tip, for crusty dry lips, you can exfoliate those too! Just use your toothbrush and scrub away the dead skin cells for healthy, full, and tingly lips.
Back to the wardrobe. If you want to kick it up a notch in the wow department, DO NOT WEAR flip-flops. They, much like those damned Crocs, are the anti-christ of fashion. Something about that simple t-strap, comfy sole and easy to slip on appeal just screams, "I don't care about my appearance". So, I, for one, have opted out of flops on many occasions. If you have to wear flops, Havaianas are the way to go-so comfy they're like walking on cheese. I chose a bright yellow for my casual beach wear, but friends have sported the metallics and they are far more fabulous than any flop I've seen before.
Other miracles in my closet include a flat-iron (where were these when I was in high school???), dark denim-any high end kind, cashmere (expensive but SSOOOOoooo worth it), a good pair of black or brown leather boots (still searching for the black), a good babysitter and an understanding hubby with a willing pocketbook, a collection of all grades of scarves, one good bra (for those of us "chestly challenged" I highly recommend something from The Little Bra Company, it works wonders!!!), a few belts of interest, and the obligatory fab handbag.
Never forget that motherhood doesn't mean you're invisible. We can all still see you, sags, bags and all. May the Fashion Debt be with you.

Comments