Romantic in Napa

The word ROMANTIC is not in my marital vocabulary. But over the years, I've learned a few tricks to getting what I want, and our latest overnight getaway certainly included plenty of the R word.(giddy happy dance, much jumping up and down)
Here's a little recap of how it all played out (in discreet details, of course). John has a quarterly meeting in the Napa Valley area so I've been honing my travel agent skills for just over a year in this area.
My favorite up to this point was The Napa River Inn ($150+, nautical theme rooms, gas fireplaces, on the Napa River, great coffee and pastry shop in The Historic Mill attached to hotel, walk to downtown restaurants/bars)
This trip, we had the glorious pleasure of staying in Yountville (a mere 10 minutes North of Napa, and 10 minutes south of St. Helena), having never even noticed it before! For starters, this is where The World Renowned French Laundry Restaurant hails. And if you blink, you'll miss it AND the mini village of Yountville.
I did not choose The Vintage Inn for it's French Country decor-sssooo NOT my style. I chose it for two reasons: #1 Price-it was the ONLY 4 to 5 Star hotel under $300/night, and #2 Romanticism-Sunset Magazine posted a list of their "Most Romantic Hotels" in the Napa Valley and again, The Vintage Inn was the ONLY one under $300/night($252 including tax, to be exact).
Oh, yeah, and I should mention I am a high ceiling type of girl and this place boasted vaulted ceilings...also wood burning fire places in every room, whirlpool bathtubs, balconies, a CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH (gorgeous, scrumptious AND complimentary), complimentary high tea complete with cucumber cream cheese sandwiches and warm croissants, Uh, YUM! The pool and hot tub is open 24 hours!!! Yahoooooo!
The balcony in our room looked over the freeway (eeuw) and beyond were the ruby vines of Domaine Chandon. We sipped cold beers and lounged in the Adirondack Chairs for a few moments before splashing into the GIANT bathtub. Weee! (I promised discreet, and thee shall have). In addition to the monstrous ceilings, king cushy bed, fireplace, balcony and french doors, we also had a sitting room-I think it amounted to 450 square feet-which is bigger than my kitchen/living/dining room combined. Vintage Inn Poster Girl, That's ME.
The front desk, upon check-in, inquired about our dining intentions (huh?), and made solid suggestions as to where to go, calling to make our reservation and tipping us off to the "Walk In Tables" at Thomas Keller's restaurant, Buchon, available for those "In The Know". Apparently, if you're a guest at The Vintage, you are In The Know. We skipped through town (well, maybe not we) to Jessup Cellars for an intimate wine tasting. Then off to dinner at Buchon under the stars. Walking through town in the brisk night air was an added bonus to the romanticism of our evening. And then back to our high ceilinged room for a crackling fire!
May I just say that champagne brunch should be a daily requirement? HELLooooo Mumm!
Love the Napa Outlets, and equally love the ridiculously cheap hand car wash next to the Napa Outlets. Had my car detailed while I shopped. Sweet!
Grgich Hills. Heitz Cellars. Hurley's for a mediocre lunch back in Yountville.
Absolutely the most lovely 24 hours I've spent with my man in a very long time.
PS Other hotels I researched and liked the looks of, Bardessono in Yountville (extreme modernism). One hotel we visited, Napa's River Terrace Inn, was inexpensive, but lacking in style and luxury. Not recommended.

Comments