Social Skills & Working Thrills



 "So, how are things?"

I pause, not sure how should I answer that...."Great!  We've started a new project."

"Another winery?  When will you learn?"

I spent the evening at a local beer garden, sipping cold ale, reveling in the cool misters raining welcome solace to the Paso sun, and trying to hone my elevator pitch.  A gathering of Paso's wine industry where I saw a few old friends, and many new faces.  Most of Paso's wine royalty is full of casual characters who attend fundraisers and social events in wrinkled tee-shirts and dusty Blundstones.  But there are always a few shiny objects in the mix, and tonight was no different.  I had the pleasure of conversing with the one young woman in attendance who brought her fashion A game, sporting a trend setting black hat and matching suede stiletto booties (yes, in May...).  She was bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready to network on the gravel garden floor.  Lavishly teasing her winery's newest chef menu, shaking hands with all the right people, and apparently impervious to the 90 degree weather in her tight gray business dress.

I am sure she did not arrive home cursing herself for missing an opportunity to talk to Paso's newest, young French restauranteur.  And I'm sure she didn't leave the event in a rush without saying goodbye to the host, racing home for a virtual academic awards night that she was just late enough to miss the announcement of her child's name. Oooph, setting one foot in the working world has a way of upending parenting success.  Can I get an Amen?

"So, how are things?"

Apparently, we can't seem to get enough of this wine industry thing and the irony of our timing is not lost on me.  Just when most of my 40 something winery friends are hiring more general managers, looking to sell out and making more self care time for yoga classes and coffee dates,  I'm shedding my stay-at-home status for website design meetings, market research and label approvals.  So, so much more to come with this.  Stay tuned.

Comments