Obituary Inspo

 Old Newspaper Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

I read the obituaries every morning.  Oh, yes, this means I also receive an actual hand held, tossed on my driveway recycled paper newspaper every morning.

I turned 44 this year and find myself musing the arrival of 50 sooner than ever.  At times, it's a feeling of shock and dread, bordering on depression.  But more often than not, it's a fist pump, a flex of my muscles and a wry snub to that old lady staring back at me in the mirror.  

"Damn straight, woman, I am almost 50 and feeling pretty damned fabulous despite what you might look like over there," I declare.

I have figured out a few things along the way.  I am still screwing things up, too.  The point is, I strive to improve everyday and those obituaries are my life coach.  What do I want my obituary to say?

Lately, I have newfound sense of urgency to check some boxes.  I wouldn't say they're on my bucket list.  I would just admit to always wanting to do some things that I haven't yet accomplished.  Suddenly, I'm setting goals and making proclamations about them.  So, I'll keep reading those inspiring obituaries, you know the the ones that bring a smile to your face or a tear to your eye.  They often list all the redeeming characteristics and personality traits of the deceased.

 "She welcomed and accepted everyone as they are" or "His zest for life and laughter never waned in his 94 years on this earth."  And I'll revel in the lists of career paths and achievements they had with sincere admiration.  And I'll aspire to fill my own obituary chock full of great qualities, admirable wisdom and exciting accomplishments.  

Comments